Electrical issue causes Blaine house fire


An electrical issue caught a Blaine house on fire in the 200 block of 10th Street around midday March 15. No one was injured.

North Whatcom Fire and Rescue (NWFR), Lynden Fire Department and Whatcom County Fire District No. 7 crews arrived on the scene at 1:10 p.m. to find smoke and flames coming from a bedroom in the house, NWFR fire chief Jason Van der Veen said. The house had already been evacuated, and the fire was controlled within 15 minutes.

Van der Veen said an electrical issue with a small appliance caused the fire. The home sustained extreme heat and smoke damage, but he said the homeowners would be able to repair it.

Two dogs escaped from the neighbor’s fenced backyard during the fire, but were found later that day, according to a Blaine Police Department Facebook post.

A GoFundMe was created the day of the fire to help the family replace its lost belongings. According to the GoFundMe page, a family of five live in the home, and the fire started in a child’s bedroom. After nearly 24 hours, the fundraiser had raised over 10 percent of its $10,000 goal.

Van Der Veen said NWFR has seen a lot of fires recently caused by small appliances.

“People need to be aware that even small appliances, even if not being used, can cause a fire if plugged in,” Van Der Veen said. “If you’re not using it, just unplug it”


No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here