Police Reports: May 1-5, 2014

Published on Wed, May 7, 2014
Read More Police

May 1, 7 a.m.: Police received information that a juvenile had made statements about wanting to harm himself or others. Officers investigated and found that no crimes had been committed regarding threats. They contacted the family and those involved with the child’s care to confirm that everyone was working together to provide the needed help.

May 1, 4:13 p.m.: Port employees at Blaine Harbor reported one of their locker buildings was damaged by a hit-and-run driver, who also struck and damaged a piece of commercial fishing equipment with a boat trailer while rounding a corner. Officers investigated, collected video evidence of the crash, and were able to locate and phone the errant driver, who had driven to their residence in B.C. after the incident. The motorist returned the next day to meet police and provided complete information needed for the port and commercial fisher to repair the damage. The officer recognized extenuating circumstances in the matter and a citation was not issued.

May 1, 7:21 p.m.: Police responded to a report of a blocking motor vehicle collision with injuries on Sweet Road just outside of city limits. Officers arrived and assisted the fire and medical responders with traffic control at the scene until sheriff’s deputies arrived.

May 2, 1:10 a.m.: Police were dispatched to a frantic call from a residence in which a woman called 911, yelled out her address and asked for help before the connection was broken. Officers arrived, secured the scene and investigated. The caller’s 41-year-old husband was arrested for fourth degree assault involving domestic violence and for interfering with the reporting of domestic violence and booked into jail. A shotgun that was in the residence but not brandished or used was impounded for safekeeping on instruction from the court.

May 2, 10:05 a.m.: A Blaine officer responded to Ferndale High School to assist Ferndale officers on a call that a man had entered the campus with a rifle and was firing shots. The officer spent several hours on site as a part of the teams securing the safety of all the students, faculty and staff.

May 2, 10:18 a.m.: Blaine officers assisted Ferndale police and Whatcom County sheriff’s deputies in the pursuit and stopping of a suspect sought in connection with a home invasion and attempted homicide in Ferndale.

May 2, 11:07 a.m.: The sheriff’s office requested assistance from Blaine police with a residential intrusion alarm at a house in Birch Bay. Officers arrived and found two windows and a door standing open. They checked the residence, found nobody inside and after contacting the homeowner they coaxed the family’s two dogs back into the house and locked the place up. The sheriff’s office was advised that no foul play was involved in the incident.

May 2, 5:35 p.m.: Officers were dispatched to a possible verbal domestic violence incident after a caller hung up on the call-taker while reporting being in an argument with a man she described as her boyfriend. Officers were unable to locate the woman, who had walked away from the location of the call but they did find the male half of the incident. He explained that the argument was only verbal. The officers did not find evidence that a crime had occurred.

May 2, 5:50 p.m.: A resident called police reporting that a person who stole property from her last year while mowing her yard had now returned to help his brother mow. She accosted the man and ordered him off her property for good, then asked police to contact him and reinforce her demand. An officer contacted the young adult and advised him he would be arrested for trespassing if he ever returned.

May 2, 6:51 p.m.: Police were dispatched to a domestic dispute in progress at a motel. Officers arrived and contacted the couple and found that their argument was disorderly but no assault had occurred. The pair agreed to separate for rest of the night.

May 3, 2:50 a.m.: Officers responded to a reported traumatic injury and quickly determined that the wounds occurred during an assault that happened outside the city limits. Sheriff’s deputies were called to the scene, and Blaine officers assisted fire personnel with their patient and the deputy with his investigation.

May 3, 8:41 p.m.: Customs officers working outbound witnessed a minor fender-bender and subsequent near road rage incident. State patrol has primary jurisdiction but was not able to respond, so a Blaine officer assisted with the exchange of information between the parties.

May 5, 10:53 a.m.: A gas station owner called to report that the driver of a B.C.-plated vehicle pumped 10.46 gallons of fuel worth $46.01 into his vehicle and left without paying. Police have sent a letter to the vehicle’s owner in hope of settling the matter civilly before pursuing it criminally.

May 5, 10:53 a.m.: A gas station owner called to report that the driver of a B.C.-plated vehicle pumped 17.32 gallons of fuel worth $76.21 into his vehicle and left without paying. Police have sent a letter to the vehicle’s owner in hope of settling the matter civilly before pursuing it criminally.

May 5, 12:41 p.m.: A resident called police when a semi truck and trailer combination struck a city sign as it negotiated a tight corner in a neighborhood at 16th and B streets. Ironically, the sign stated, “No trucks.” There was no damage to the sign but the collision left it leaning. Public works righted the sign. No one in the neighborhood had been able to get the license plate and the offending truck was not located or identified.

May 5, 5:25 p.m.: Officers were dispatched to an apartment complex for a report of a possible domestic violence incident. Upon arriving officers determined no crime had occurred, however a juvenile in the household reported that she did not feel safe there. An officer transported the youth to the police department until a relative arrived to take custody of her.

May 5, 10:35 p.m.: An anonymous person called police dispatch to report a marijuana grow operation in a residence. Officers went to the reported address and contacted the sole occupant. Officers were allowed inside the home and the occupant showed officers his medical marijuana letter and his starter plants. They determined no crime had been committed.