Police Reports: March 12 - 18, 2014

Published on Wed, Mar 19, 2014
Read More Police

March 12, 10:32 a.m.: A business called police to report the unlawful use of a credit card. Over a period of three days two women had used the card to steal almost $2,000 in merchandise. Police are working with business employees and security video to investigate the crime.

March 12, 10:38 a.m.: A resident called police to report finding two abandoned bicycles in a residential neighborhood near her home. An officer collected the bicycles, one yellow and one blue, and placed them into evidence pending identification of their owners.

March 12, 1:06 p.m.: A motorist called to report that a BMW emblem had been stolen off her vehicle, most likely while she was parked at the community center. There are no suspects in the taking at this time. The estimated cost to replace the emblem and repair the paint scratches is $200.

March 12, 2:24 p.m.: High school administrators notified police when they identified a suspect in the theft of an MP3 player on campus. An officer arrived and interviewed the teenager, who admitted that he had stolen the iPod and headphones from a boys’ locker room. School security personnel also located a graphing calculator, which he admitted having stolen from a teacher’s room the previous day. The young man was arrested on two counts of theft and was released to his parents after processing, pending court arraignment. The recovered property is valued at about $400.

March 13, 12:12 a.m.: A resident on Georgia Street called police when he heard something smack one of the windows on his home. He checked the window and found a small fracture from something akin to a pellet or BB, and spotted two males in dark clothing walking away from his property. The responding officers searched the neighborhood but did not locate the suspects. It will cost about $100 to replace the window.

March 13, 1:11 a.m.: Police responded to a call of a domestic violence incident at a home on Adelia Street. The couple had retreated to separate rooms when officers arrived. They interviewed the family members and determined that the primary aggressor had been the female half. The intoxicated 34-year-old woman was arrested and booked into jail. The male half did not require medical attention for the several blows he sustained in the assault.

March 13, 8:51 a.m.: A man came to the police department after he discovered that he had been the victim of a theft. He provided a statement detailing how someone had stolen his checkbook and used it to take more than $1,000 from his account by passing checks with his forged signature. Officers interviewed witnesses and identified a suspect and felony charges related to the incident are pending.

March 13, 9:21 a.m.: A Canadian resident called Blaine police to provide information about her son, an adult in his 40s who is missing from his home in Alberta. She had learned that her son’s bank debit card had most recently been used at a grocery store in Blaine. Police collected information in hopes the man might be located in the area.

March 13, 12:08 p.m.: A resident called to report that a vehicle had been parked unattended on a city street for the past five days and was possibly abandoned. An officer checked the vehicle, and then attempted without success to locate and contact the registered owner who last lived in Bellingham. An abandoned vehicle notice was placed on the car’s windshield, and its owners removed the car before it had to be towed.

March 13, 12:43 p.m.: CBP officers at the Peace Arch port of entry reported they were interviewing a person who had motored up to the border, after they discovered that his driving privilege in the U.S. was suspended. An officer responded and confirmed that the man’s driving status in California had been suspended when he failed to resolve a traffic citation. Washington honors other state suspensions through the Interstate Licensing Compact, and the 34-year-old Tsawwassen, B.C. resident was arrested for the criminal driving offense. He was released after accepting a mandatory appearance citation and was advised to resolve the ticket in California and bring proof of that to his court hearing in Blaine. He called a licensed driver to come collect his car from customs.

March 13, 3:05 p.m.: A passerby spotted a woman trying to enter a house on Madison Street through a back window, and called police to report a possible burglary in progress. Officers responded and contacted the victim residence. It turned out that reporting party had witnessed the lady of the house working to get back inside her own home. She’d accidentally locked herself out and had been having trouble getting the attention of her husband inside.

March 13, 4:33 p.m.: Police were called to the scene when a group of juveniles started a fire in the skate park. Officers arrived and contacted the four boys. One of them admitted to starting the fire, and explained he thought “it wouldn’t be a big deal” because the park is concrete. The youngster and his friends received a safety lesson in how playing with fire might get them burned by the law.

March 13, 6:40 p.m.: Police were called to the 300 block of E Street to assist with a vehicle blocking an alley. An officer arrived and contacted the owner of the car, and he moved it.

March 13, 7:15 p.m.: A teenager studying at the Blaine Library left her daypack unattended while she was working at a computer workstation. When she came back to her bag about an hour later, she found it was unzipped, and her wallet, $10 cash and her Kindle had been stolen. Police have not identified any suspects in the taking.

March 13, 7:30 p.m.: A resident asked police to take possession of firearms ammunition that was no longer wanted. An officer picked up the property and placed it in to property impound for destruction.

March 13, 8:02 p.m.: CBP officers at the Peace Arch port of entry intercepted a traveler who was driving in Washington with a suspended driver’s status. A Blaine officer responded to investigate, and arrested the man for the criminal driving violation. He was cited and released pending a mandatory court appearance.

March 13, 9:30 p.m.: A border patrol agent radioed Blaine police when a juvenile at Blaine High School flagged him down. The teenager advised that she was a runaway and was hoping to get a ride home to Birch Bay. Officers confirmed the girl’s runaway status and transported her to the police station where her dad picked her up.

March 14, 1:28 a.m.: A concerned homeowner called police after midnight when he noticed that a neighbor’s garage door was standing open in the dark. Officers contacted the residence and found that everything was OK: the folks had forgotten to close the garage earlier. Police stayed on scene while the owner locked up her garage for the night.

March 14, 5:36 a.m.: Police responded to a residence where an accidental poisoning had occurred. The victim had taken a drink of what he thought was alcohol, and discovered too late that he was swigging liquid plant food. Medics responded to evaluate the gent and transported him to hospital for observation while he outgrew his mistake.

March 14, 10:22 a.m.: 911 advised Blaine police when they received three hang-up calls from a residential address in Blaine. An officer responded and checked the residence. No one appeared to be home there and everything looked normal. The officer cleared, and no further calls were received.

March 14, 12:40 p.m.: CBP officers at the Peace Arch port of entry contacted the police department to ask for assistance for a pedestrian who arrived at their building after being denied entry to Canada. Police responded to the port and gave the lady and all of her luggage a ride to a WTA bus stop so she could head back south.

March 15, 11 a.m.: Blaine Municipal Court called to ask for assistance serving a subpoena at a residence in town. An officer made contact with the resident, served the subpoena and notified the court that service had been completed.

March 15, 1 p.m.: Officers responded to a burglary panic alarm at a residence. They found the alarm had been accidentally activated and there was no emergency on the property. Police cleared the scene with no further action, and issued an alarm notification for the owner.

March 15, 2:07 p.m.: Officers responded to a report of vandalism that occurred on Alder Street. A woman reported that she had parked her new car there Friday evening, and returned a few hours later to discover that someone had made deep scratches in the car’s paint. There are no suspects in the vandalism, and the owner reports it will cost about $1,500 to repair the damage.

March 15, 3 p.m.: While investigating an unrelated call, police observed a young woman exit a nearby home screaming at someone. Officers intervened and contacted the lady and the young man she had been yelling at. It turned out that no crime had occurred other than disorderly conduct. The girl had been letting off steam after an argument with her brother.

March 15, 4 p.m.: A trucking company called police to report that one of their drivers had disappeared with one of their trucks. The driver’s whereabouts were unknown until another company called the reporting company to ask for a reference for the missing driver, who was now job-hunting. The business wanted to report their truck stolen. An officer investigated, and located and interviewed the truck driver. He had a substantially different and non-criminal perspective of the events. Both sides had attorneys, and both were advised to work out the matter through civil process.

March 15, 6:13 p.m.: A resident called Blaine police to report that he had been targeted in a telephone scam. The victim had received a phone call in which he was told that if he paid $20, a BMW sedan would be delivered to a business in Blaine for him. An officer spoke with the man and advised him to not take any more calls from the solicitor.

March 15, 5 p.m.: Residents called police when they found a bicycle on their property that did not belong to their family. A juvenile at the house said he might know who the bike belonged to, and an officer took the black bike to property impound until the owner is contacted to retrieve it.

March 15, 8:36 p.m.: A 17-year-old came to the police department to turn himself in. Officers checked and found that the young man had three outstanding warrants held by Whatcom County courts. He was arrested on the warrants and transported to juvenile detention.

March 15, 10:36 p.m.: A couple was enjoying dinner at a restaurant when a group of intoxicated people came in and started harassing the employees. The male half of the couple made a comment in defense of the restaurant and one of the drunks repaid the victim’s chivalry by slugging him in the chin. The inebriates left the restaurant and were not located by the responding officers. The victim was not seriously injured.

March 16, 2:49 a.m.: The sheriff’s office advised that deputies were in route to a call in which a suicidal person left his home in the county and was possibly driving to Blaine. Police here checked the area where the man was headed but he did not arrive. A short time later sheriff’s officers contacted the man, who was still in the county and they handled the call.

March 16, 7:48 a.m.: Blaine police were dispatched to the Peace Arch port of entry when a motorist was found to have a suspended driving status in Washington due to an unpaid ticket. An officer arrived, arrested, cited and released the out-of-state resident pending a court appearance. He was allowed to wait at customs for a licensed driver to collect his car.

March 16, 12:43 p.m.: A man held a party at his house and kicked out a neighbor who became too intoxicated. The next morning the neighbor came back, still upset and still intoxicated. She was again ordered off the property, and this time the party’s host called police. Officers contacted the persistent person and warned her that she would be subject to arrest if she returned to the party house. 

March 16, 7 p.m.: A woman who resides out of the city came to the police department to find out if any laws had been broken by a man she met online when he lied to her about his relationship status and financial situation. An officer explained that the misrepresentation in and of itself did not violate criminal laws, and such practices were unfortunately common online.

March 16, 10:05 p.m.: A woman became upset about her husband’s excessive alcohol use, a domestic dispute ensued and she tried to call 911 when he refused to leave the house. The man pulled the phone away from her to try and keep her from making the report. Enough of the call went through that dispatchers were able to send police to the scene. Officers investigated and arrested the intoxicated male half for interfering with reporting of domestic violence.

March 16, 9:23 p.m.: A U.S. motorist returning from Canada was found to have a suspended Washington state driver’s privilege. He was issued a criminal traffic citation for the offense and his licensed friend was able to drive the car for the remainder of their journey.

March 16, 11:05 p.m.: Officers were called to a residence where a young adult had been out of control. The family member had calmed somewhat when police arrived. She had used drugs earlier, and agreed to be transported by police to hospital for a voluntary evaluation.

March 16, 11:41 p.m.: Police received a noise complaint from a resident on F Street, who reported that someone in the neighborhood occasionally plays music so loud that it shakes her house. Police checked the area but did not hear the cacophony. Periodic checks of the area are being made and the caller was asked to notify police when she hears it start up again.

March 17, 5:07 p.m.: A large city-owned advertising banner hanging across the 200 block of H Street became partly detached in a wind storm, creating a traffic and pedestrian hazard. An officer was able to corral the several yards of fabric, and notified public works where it was going to be stored until someone could collect it.

March 17, 3 p.m.: A resident called to report that her ex-boyfriend had been leaving her rude messages. An officer contacted the ex, and advised him to stop sending the messages, as they appeared to be harassment. The man agreed to restrain himself.

March 17, 3:35 p.m.: A resident came to the police department to report that her credit card information was stolen by a relative and fraudulently used on the Internet. An officer interviewed the juvenile suspect, and he admitted purchasing more than $100 in goods online using the pilfered card data. A case report was completed and forwarded to the juvenile prosecutor.

March 18, 12:30 a.m.: An officer located an abandoned vehicle facing north on the southbound shoulder of Bell Road, partially blocking the road. Its parking lights were on and there was no one in or around the vehicle. The vehicle was towed from the scene to the clear the roadway and impounded. Its owner called a short time later. He sounded inebriated and claimed a friend had been driving him home when the engine died. He was advised how to recover his auto.