Police Reports: October 16 - 22, 2013

Published on Wed, Oct 23, 2013
Read More Police

October 16, 11:53 a.m.: A man who witnessed a collision called the police department to have an officer respond. Police responded and determined that no one had been injured. The collision occurred when both vehicles were backing and damage to the vehicles was limited to mostly scrapes and scuffs. Officers helped document the fender-bender and the transfer of insurance information. Both parties determined it would be cheaper to buff out the scrapes instead of going to their insurance carriers.

October 16, 12:23 p.m.: City of Blaine Public Works contacted the police department to report that some copper wire belonging to the city had been stolen from their facility. Officers responded and investigated the theft. Two very large, long and heavy electrical cables used for large generators had been stolen. This made the generators unusable until the cables are replaced. The loss is estimated at $5,000. The case is under investigation.

October 16, 1:30 p.m.: A store employee called police when he saw a customer behaving suspiciously, possibly preparing to shoplift merchandise. His suspicions were confirmed when the woman left without paying for the items and was stopped outside by store personnel. The 25-year-old Blaine resident was arrested, cited and released pending her appearance in court. $50 worth of merchandise was recovered by the business.

October 16, 3:06 p.m.: A gentleman came to the police department to report the side mirror on his car had been hit two days ago, while the car was parked in a business parking lot on H Street. The damages are estimated at $250. He was not in the car at the time the damage occurred and had no suspect vehicle information. A report was completed at his request.

October 16, 3:45 p.m.: Police responded to a report of a domestic violence assault that had occurred earlier in the day. An officer interviewed a victim and witness, obtained statements and notified other agencies to watch for the suspects. The investigation developed probable cause to arrest one adult and one minor with domestic violence crimes. When the suspects were not located, case reports were forwarded to the city’s prosecutor and the county prosecuting attorney’s juvenile division requesting a review and charging of the two people involved.

October 16, 3:45 p.m.: A resident called the police department asking for help with teaching her daughter about the seriousness of the child’s actions in bullying other kids. An officer visited the mother and daughter, had a conversation with the girl about the immediate and lasting effects that her behavior would have on her and the people around her. He left the family with resource materials to help them work on the problem.

October 16, 4:05 p.m.: Police responded to a call that several kids had gotten onto the roof of a commercial building and were running around up there. Officers arrived and found one of the building’s tenants working on a roof fan. He explained that he had allowed his young son to bring a piece of equipment to the roof, and the boy’s friend had climbed the ladder with him. The kids and dad were warned about the dangers of kids playing on structures at height.

October 17, 9:11 a.m.: A construction worker arrived to work this morning at a building site in a residential neighborhood to find that many of tools belonging to other employees and him had been stolen some time overnight. Police responded to investigate the scene and contact the victims, and are now working to identify suspects. Almost $5,000 worth of tools ands accessories were stolen.

October 17, 12:36 p.m.: Police were dispatched to look for a dog reported to be loose in a neighborhood. Officers located the dog, who was uncooperative and eventually lead the officers to an address that is believed to be his home. Officers made animal control aware of the dogs current location. Case closed.

October 17, 12:54 p.m.: A woman found a Washington state driver’s license and bank card outside on the sidewalk across from the police department. The owner was contacted and came in to retrieve his belongings.

October 17, 1:28 p.m.: Blaine Police were dispatched to the Peace Arch port of entry when customs officers discovered a dangerous weapon in the possession of a traveler applying to enter the U.S. from Canada. A police officer investigated and arrested the B.C. resident for possession of the black weighted club with wrist lanyard he was carrying in his car. The man was cited and released with a mandatory court date. The weapon was impounded as evidence.

October 17, 1:51 p.m.: Employees who had apprehended a man shoplifting called police to a store on H Street. An officer arrived to investigate, and arrested the 25-year-old Birch Bay resident. He was issued a citation and the store recovered $12 worth of food and drink items.

October 18, 3:45 p.m.: A concerned passerby called to report that a family with small children might be living in a tent in a residential neighborhood. Officers contacted the family and determined the kids and mom are living in the nice warm home next to the tent. It is actually dad who occasionally retreats to the canvas shelter, and he is not complaining about the arrangement.

October 19, 5:47 p.m.: Police responded to a 911 hang up at a residence and found a man who had cut his wrist with a razor blade. Medical aid responded to patch the wound and an officer transported him to hospital for a mental health evaluation.

October 19, 5:31 p.m.: A motorcycle rider contacted police for help when he became stranded at customs. He explained that he couldn’t get his engine started after having waited in line for a while. An officer contacted the man, examined the bike, and moved its engine “kill” switch back to the on position. The bike then started, allowing the thankful rider to depart in embarrassed haste.

October 19, 8:54 p.m.: Officers responded to the Blaine Peace Arch port of entry for a report of a no contact order violation. Officers arrived and established probable cause to arrest the respondent in a no contact order out of Bellevue. The man was arrested, cited and booked into Whatcom County Jail without incident.

October 20, 1:15 a.m.: While on patrol on Peace Portal Drive and H Street, police came upon a black SUV motoring along, dragging what appeared to be part of a city street light behind it. Officers stopped the auto and determined the driver appeared to under the influence of alcohol. A state patrol trooper processed the DUI arrest while Blaine officers investigated the hit and run collision between the SUV and the light pole. A city electrical crew responded to secure their wiring. Repair costs to the pole and its connection box are estimated at more than $5,000.

October 20, 2 p.m.: A victim called police to report that a large extension cord had been stolen from the site of a house he is building in Blaine. A section of a second large cord had been cut off and taken as well. Police are investigating.

October 21, 8:52 a.m.: A crew arriving for work at a residential building site discovered that over the weekend thieves had entered two homes under construction and stripped more than 600 feet of copper electrical wiring from the buildings. Police are investigating.

October 21, 11:02 a.m.: A business owner arrived at work to discover that some time between Saturday evening and Monday morning a thief had entered the premises and stole a quantity of cash. Police responded to the scene and the theft is under investigation.

October 22, 2 p.m.: A person called Blaine High School to report that a man dropped a red backpack in the bushes near the high school and walked away. Between police and school staff investigation, the suspect was determined to be a high school student skipping out of school early for the day. A campus security member and a police officer recovered the backpack and returned the truant to school.

October 22, 7:27 p.m.: An officer on patrol found graffiti vandalism on a fence adjacent to a residence on 8th Street. The damage was documented and the homeowner will be advised to remove the graffiti. The damage is estimated at about $20.