Police Reports: May 1 - 7, 2013

Published on Wed, May 8, 2013
Read More Police

May 1, 8:22 a.m.: According to witnesses who called police, a woman became upset with the boyfriend in whose home she was residing. After they argued and he set out for the day’s work, she sat down and imbibed a spirituous breakfast. Once fortified she stood up and set to work demolishing her boyfriend’s apartment, not letting her intoxication impair her ability to ventilate drywall, smash glass, and disappear on foot before police arrived. The investigating officers catalogued the mess, obtained statements from the witnesses and victim, and will seek a warrant for the 40-year-old suspect if she is not soon located.

May 1, 12:57 p.m.: A resident called police when she saw a man behaving suspiciously and possibly stealing mail from boxes along D Street. Officers contacted the man a short distance away. He explained that he had tried going to Canada to see his girlfriend, but was denied entry by Canadian immigration. The gent denied taking any mail and allowed officers to check his belongings to verify the fact. The male was mail free, and set off to continue his journey.

May 1, 3:47 p.m.: A resident mistakenly thought he could play music at ear piercing volume for his entire neighborhood to enjoy so long as he turned it off at 10 p.m. He threw open his doors and windows and brought his theory into practice, and his neighbors brought members of the constabulary to his door in short order. Officers contacted the audiophile, explained to him the municipal code regarding noise disturbances and offered to provide him with a copy. He chose to curtail his experiment rather than test it in court.

May 1, 7 29 p.m.: A resident called police for assistance when she learned that her estranged spouse had entered her home in her absence, without permission and absent any authority. Officers investigated and found evidence including witnesses who confirmed the intrusion. The 47-year-old man was arrested for criminal trespass involving domestic violence and booked in to jail.

May 3, 11:35 a.m.: Police investigated a report of littering and theft of service violations being committed by customers of a shipping and receiving business. Patrons reportedly discard packaging materials into overflowing public and private trash receptacles in the neighborhood rather than at the store. Officers contacted the business and advised them of the municipal code requirements for trash and recycling service, and the problems being caused as the evidence of the success of their business accumulates around the area.

May 3, 2:51 p.m.: U.S. Customs and Washington State Patrol called for assistance when five oversized vehicles hauling equipment from Canada applied to enter the U.S. on SR543. The drivers had the necessary permits, but their loads were too tall to fit under truck route’s D Street overpass. Blaine officers worked with cooperative motorists to clear a path for the trucks from the border to a parking facility in Blaine.

May 3, 3:57 p.m.: An officer noticed the license tabs on a passing car were expired by over a year. He turned around to contact the driver, but the car darted down a side street. When the violator and vehicle were found lingering without purpose in a business parking lot a few blocks away the driver claimed the car belonged to a relative. The registration was still in the name of a third party who’d sold it over a year earlier. The matter was resolved with a citation to the driver for expired vehicle registration and no proof of insurance, and the vehicle was impounded, as it could not be legally operated on the roadway.

May 3, 4:17 p.m.: A Blaine officer stopped a semi-truck/tanker combination on I-5 for making an illegal and unsafe lane change. An inquiry revealed that the B.C. truck driver’s driving privilege in Washington had been suspended for unpaid tickets. The trucker was arrested for the criminal license violation, cited and released with a mandatory court appearance date. The semi-truck’s owner in B.C. delivered a licensed driver by taxi to avoid having the rig impounded.

May 3, 4:38 p.m.: 911 operators received a hang-up call from a cell phone in Blaine. When they traced the call back a woman answered the line and said everything was all right, but the dispatcher could hear children crying in the background. A police officer contacted the resident. She did not know how her phone had called 911, but was able to explain that the kids were upset about an injured animal they had passed as they were driving home.

May 3, 6:10 p.m.: Police were dispatched to a security alarm activation at a business. On arrival they found the premises secure and quiet. It appeared everyone had gone home for the evening. An officer returned a call to the alarm monitoring folks and advised them of their findings. A false alarm notification was left on the premises.

May 4, 9:30 a.m.: U.S. Customs officers interviewed a person who had driven to the port and found that the traveler’s privilege to drive was suspended. They called Blaine PD, who confirmed the information and arrested the 40-year-old Vancouver, B.C. resident. He was released with a mandatory appearance date in municipal court, and called a friend to come drive his vehicle.

May 4, 10:46 a.m.: A Blaine resident contacted an officer at Blaine PD to turn in a credit card he found in a business parking lot. The card was placed into found property and the officer notified the issuing company of the recovery.

May 4, 2 p.m.: U.S Border Patrol agents interviewed a man who illegally crossed the border into the U.S. near Peace Arch State Park, and discovered that he was wanted on an arrest warrant issued by authorities in Yakima. The agents turned the 23-year-old Mexican citizen over to Blaine officers, who arrested him on the warrant and booked him into jail for transport to Yakima.

May 4, 2:10 p.m.: An anonymous passerby called police to express concern about two little girls walking along Marine Drive with bare feet and no adults nearby. An officer found the energetic tomboys celebrating the warm spring Saturday with a fishing expedition. They accepted a ride home across town in a police car, once they were assured they could bring along the treasures they’d found on the beach.

May 4, 7:57 p.m.: Police and Border Patrol agents responded to a report of three young men walking near D and Allen streets, one of them sporting a firearm. Officers contacted the trio, who were hiking away from homes in the area to safely shoot their BB gun. The activity is not permitted in the city, so an officer returned the rifle to the owner’s parents at home while the boys continued to play, without their shootin’ iron.

May 4, 8:35 p.m.: Police patrolling downtown followed the thumping bass of amplified music two blocks to its source at the skate park, where a group of boarders had opened their car doors and trunk to maximize the output of their music system. The sound was a suitable serenade for shredding, but dissonant accompaniment to the evening’s peaceful seaside sunset. The conductor of the cacophony was cooperative and cut the chords.

May 5, 1:09 a.m.: A couple was spending the night in a Blaine motel when the intoxicated male half found upsetting information on his sleeping girlfriend’s cell phone. He woke her up to talk about his angst, and moments later he was using his own phone to call 911 for rescue. The arriving officers found that no physical assault had occurred, though it was apparent the gentleman had found the extreme limit of his partner’s patience with his inebriated insecurities. Both halves declined assistance with relocation.

May 6, 10:29 a.m.: Employees at a bank reported suspicious behavior by a man who kept repeatedly driving past their branch. Police located the motorist, who explained that he was playing a cell phone game that involved finding locations for points. He was advised of the concerns that his actions were raising and he accepted a suggestion to avoid playing games around financial institutions.

May 6, 12:04 p.m.: A B.C. resident came to Blaine PD for assistance when he discovered that a car that he had purchased in California had then been reported stolen by the seller. A Blaine officer contacted the dealer and police in Torrance, California to resolve the issue. The stolen vehicle watch-for was cleared from law enforcement databases and the vehicle was released to its B.C. purchaser.

May 6, 12:22 p.m.: Blaine PD received a temporary order for protection from the court, to be served on a Blaine resident. Initial attempts were not successful, but by early evening the respondent was contacted. An officer delivered the papers to him and a return of service was executed.

May 6, 10:45 p.m.: Police responded to a residence where a family member was having delusions and yelling in the house. When officers met with the victim he explained he’d not slept in about a week and was feeling pretty uncomfortable. An aid unit was called to the scene and confirmed the man was not suffering a medical emergency. He was not a threat to himself or others, and felt better after spending some time in the fresh air. In the end he declined further assistance and opted to instead quiet down and go to bed. Both he and his family were advised to call again if the problem reawakened.

May 6, 11:45 p.m.: At about midnight a man called asking police to locate a feline whose caterwauling was awakening the neighborhood. Officers tracked the yowling to a well cared for house cat that was none too pleased to find its evening exploration interrupted by the spring loaded door of a humane varmint cage. The resident that had installed the trap on his property had no intention of collecting cats, so police freed the grateful orange tabby and it shot silently, albeit haughtily, off into the night.

May 7, 9:11 a.m.: Officers responded to a passerby’s report of a collision on Peace Portal Drive north of Hughes Avenue, and found a two-car crash, which occurred when a northbound passenger car legally stopped prior to making a turn and was rear-ended by the car behind it. An aid unit evaluated and released one passenger at the scene, and the overtaking driver was cited for following too close. Officers helped the drivers exchange information for their insurance companies and arranged a tow for the overtaking car. 

May 7, 12:28 p.m.: Dispatch reported an alarm activation at a house in Semiahmoo, and police responded. The first officer at the scene found the owner was at home, safe in the company of his alarm system installer. The installer reported that the system was in test mode and should not have triggered a call. The officers agreed wholeheartedly with that assessment and went on to other calls.