Smoked oyster stuffing
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
1 loaf crusty white bread, chopped into 1-inch cubes
1 c. bacon, (8-10 bacon slices cut into ¼" pieces and
sautéed until crisp), grease reserved
1 cup smoked oysters
1 medium onion, diced
2 large celery stalks, diced
2 t. chopped garlic
4 T. unsalted butter
1/4 t. ground black pepper
1 T. poultry seasoning
1 T. chopped thyme leaves
2 oz. dry white wine or apple juice
1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 c. chicken or turkey stock
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
2. In a large pan, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and reserve on plate with paper towel. Reserve grease.
3. Sauté onion, celery and garlic in butter and leftover bacon grease.
4. Add wine (or apple juice) and poultry seasoning.
5. Add ground pepper, oysters and stock and stir over medium heat, bringing it to a simmer.
6. Remove from heat.
7. In a 9x13 casserole pan, toss the bread pieces with the bacon, thyme and parsley and mix in the beaten egg, making certain that it is well mixed.
8. Pour in the oyster and vegetable mixture and gently fold together.
9. Season generously with salt and pepper, and then bake on middle rack until deep golden brown on top, 25 to 30 minutes.
10. Let sit for 5 minutes, garnish with parsley, and serve.
Recipe courtesy of the Sche’Langen Seafood Market at the Lummi Gateway Center, located at 4920 Rural Avenue, Ferndale (Exit 260).