Boat fire at Semiahmoo Marina results in minor injury

Published on Wed, Jul 4, 2012 by Jeremy Schwartz

Read More News



Lieutenant Mark Wohlrab of North Whatcom Fire and Rescue speaks with the owners of the boat after the fire was extinguished. Photo by Jeremy Schwartz



A short circuit on a battery ignited some gasoline on a boat in Semiahmoo Marina Monday morning, resulting in a small fire that was quickly extinguished.

North Whatcom Fire and Rescue (NWFR) crews responded to a call about a boat fire at Semiahmoo Marina at 11:53 a.m. on July 2, NWFR fire chief Ron Anderson said. Crews arrived to find smoke coming from the engine compartment of a sailboat.

Crews were able to quickly put out the fire with chemical fire extinguishers, Anderson said. The fire started when a sparking battery ignited a small amount of gasoline that had leaked out of the engine.

Fire crews from both the Blaine and Birch Bay fire stations responded. The son of the owner of the boat sustained minor burns on his hand after attempting to fix the gas leak and was treated on scene, Anderson said.

The vessel, reported to be 53-years-old, sustained only minor damage.