Fire damages Blaine sailboat

Published on Thu, Mar 24, 2011 by By Jeremy Schwartz

Read More News

Firefighters and Blaine police responded to a small fire on a sailboat in Blaine marina on Tuesday.

District chief Henry Hollander of North Whatcom Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was contained on the sailboat and did not threaten any lives. No one was on board at the time of the fire.

Hollander explained a short-out in the electrical system that was providing shore power to the 26-foot “Gull’s Way” likely caused the fire. The fire started just on the inside of the cabin under a plastic compartment door, he said.

Black smoke drifted out of the boat for about 10 minutes before Blaine police and firefighters arrived. Burning plastic on board the vessel produced noxious fumes as marina staff and Blaine police kept the fire in check with hand-held extinguishers.

Firefighters used between 5 and 10 gallons of water to extinguish the remaining flames, Hollander said.
 
Photo by Jeremy Schwartz