Looking for something useful to do with your spare time?

Published on Thu, Jun 17, 2010
Read More News

Feeling up for a little participatory democracy? If so, Whatcom County has a number of boards and commissions you can sit on. For example:

Address And Road Name Citizen Appeals Committee: Two vacancies. The committee considers and decides appeals of address numbering, road name assignments and corrections, by reviewing appeals. Meetings are held the second Wednesday of every month. Three-year term.

Whatcom County Board Of Equalization: One vacancy. Alternate at large. Applicants must reside in county. The board ensures that all properties are valued at 100 percent of market value. The board may equalize property values, by either lowering or raising land/building assessments. The board generally meets most Tuesdays through Thursdays, July through April, or as needed. Members receive $75 per diem for attending hearings. Filling a partial term ending 12/31/2012.

Solid Waste Advisory Committee: Four vacancies. One representing citizen group, one representing business/industry group, one representing solid waste disposal facility, one representing public interest group. No two representatives can be from the same company or public interest group. This committee provides ongoing public input and advice to Whatcom County on solid waste management issues. Three year term. This committee generally meets the last Thursday of the month.

Whatcom County Flood Control Zone District Advisory Committee: Any person interested in serving on the advisory committee may be appointed by the board of supervisors to a list of alternate members for a period of six years. Alternate members shall be notified of each meeting of the advisory committee and encouraged to attend when possible. The committee assists and makes recommendations to the Flood Control Zone District Board of Supervisors in performing flood damage repairs, maintenance and improvements, and minimizing future flood damage through prevention and management on the Nooksack River, its watershed and the other watersheds within Whatcom County. Meets monthly or as needed.

Whatcom County Council makes all appointments. All members must be registered voters, residents of Whatcom County and, if applicable, reside in the area they represent. Members serve without compensation unless otherwise noted. Applications are available in the council office, Whatcom County Courthouse, 311 Grand Avenue, Suite 105, Bellingham.