U.S. Customs & Border Protection News Release-Victoria Day Border Travel Advisory

Published on Thu, May 14, 2009
Read More News

In Canada, Victoria Day (Monday, May 18) unofficially marks the end of the winter season and, thus the beginning of summer.  Border traffic volumes are expected to be greatly increased during this holiday weekend and all travelers are reminded of a few simple steps they can employ to cross the border.
Plan your trip and allow extra time for crossing the border.  Consult the CBP web site to monitor border wait times and review the “Know Before You Go” tip sheet at www.cbp.gov.

Avoid peak travel times when at all possible.  The heaviest traffic periods are typically between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

Be prepared to show proof of citizenship and identity to enter the United States. This can include a passport, U.S. Passport Card (U.S. citizens), trusted traveler program card (NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST), an enhanced driver’s license or a birth certificate with a conventional driver’s license. Travelers 18 and under can present just a birth certificate.

Be advised that if you are crossing at a Port of Entry that has a NEXUS lane, only those travelers that possess NEXUS cards and have the card in their possession may utilize the NEXUS lane when it is operational.

Travelers are advised to declare all agriculture products including firewood and kindling, and those who are transporting either are subject to additional inspection by CBP agriculture specialists.  If your firewood and/or kindling are suspected to contain any harmful pests it will be refused at the border and you may be required to return it home or otherwise properly dispose of it.  Failure to declare agriculture products, including firewood and kindling will result in delays and can incur on the spot civil penalties.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection wants to remind travelers that full implementation of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will take place on June 1. Travelers will need to present a passport, U.S. Passport Card, state/province-issued Enhanced Driver’s Licenses, or one of the three CBP trusted traveler program cards (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST). Details on each of these options are available on the WHTI Web site. (GetYouHome.Gov )