The city of Blaine is now offering residential electrical customers rebates for Energy Star light fixtures and appliances.
Residential electrical customers can receive a $10 rebate for each Energy Star qualified light fixture purchased between March 15 and July 31 if they are installed in the home associated with their account. Applications can be submitted to Blaine Public Works within 30 days of purchase at 1200 Yew Avenue, Blaine, Washington 98230.
Appliance rebates are offered in partnership with Energy Star and the Bonneville Power Administration for Energy Star clothes washers and dishwashers.
To be eligible for that program, residents must be a residential electrical customer of the city of Blaine and have purchased a fixture or an appliance between March 15 and July 31 and submitted an application within a year of purchase. Appliances must be installed in the home with the active residential account.
Tips for energy efficiency
* Unplugging appliances when not in use could save more than $30 per year.
* Replacing an incandescent bulb with a compact fluorescent (CFL) bulb could save $18 per year.
* A 75-watt incandescent bulb left on for 12 hours a day costs about $26 per year in energy.
* A 20-watt compact fluorescent light (CFL) will provide the same amount of light at one-fourth the energy, and costs under $7 per year. That saves you over $18 per year for just one light.
Also, CFLs last five to seven times longer than incandescent.
* For every degree lowered thermostat in winter, customers can save 3 percent on their heating bill.