Hands across the border 2004
On Sunday June 13 the 83rd annual Hands Across the Border celebration brought together thousands of youth and veterans from the United States and Canada to commemorate the anniversary of the dedication of the Peace Arch and celebrate the spirit of peace and international cooperation between those countries that the arch symbolizes.
Construction on the Peace Arch began in 1920 and the 67 foot structure was dedicated in September 1921, with half of the arch resting in each country. The park surrounding the arch was paid for through pennies donated by school children in Washington and British Columbia.
The International Peace Arch Association sponsors the annual celebration.