Man burned in boat fire
One man was burned Wednesday afternoon after his boat caught fire in theBlaine Marina.
According to North Whatcom Fire and Rescue Services Chief Jim Rutherford, 60-year-old Asbjorn Moldver, of Bellingham, suffered burns across his body and was transferred to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle via helicopter.
�He�s got some burn injuries, about 35 percent of his body,� Rutherford said. �That�s what we�re estimating.�
The burns, he said, were all over Moldver�s body, including his head, arms, torso and legs.
Moldver was apparently in the process of rebuilding the vessel, a recently purchased Fiberform boat, when the fire started.
�I believe it was accidental,� Rutherford said. �Fumes that came up from the bilge got into the ignition source and ignited.�
Moldver was below the deck, Rutherford said, and was able to leave the vessel himself to get help.
The fire department�s response time was roughly three or four minutes from their Odell Road fire station, Rutherford said. It took the fire department several minutes to set up on the dock to fight the fire.
Several boaters cut lines and moved three vessels docked next to the burning vessel, and witnesses say that several boats, including those moved, suffered damage. There were no other human injuries, Rutherford said.