Spring is the perfect time of year for pets to wander in the outdoors and explore. Before you let them loose, know that some common plants can be toxic if ingested.
Aside from the variety of household items that pose a risk to dogs, cats and other pets, hundreds of plant varieties are poisonous. If ingested, some plants can have a serious impact on your pet’s health including nausea, behavioral changes and even death.
Thanks to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), pet owners can access a list of hundreds of poisonous plants. Here are just a few:
These multi-colored bulbous blooms are harmful to dogs and cats. Typical signs of ingestion include vomiting, depression, diarrhea and hyper-salivation.
Azaleas are toxic to dogs, cats and horses. Common signs of ingestion include vomiting (with the exception of horses), diarrhea, weakness and cardiac failure.
These flowers are commonly used as decoration around the Easter holiday and are toxic to cats. Ingestion can cause kidney failure.
Hyacinth flowers are toxic to dogs, cats and horses. Signs of ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, depression
A staple in yard landscaping, holly is toxic to dogs, cats and horses. Signs of ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea and depression.
Bursting with flowers in the spring and sometimes into the summer, hydrangeas are toxic to dogs, cats and horses. Common side effects of eating include vomiting, depression and
Routinely used throughout the summer to treat sun burns, aloe is toxic to dogs, cats and horses. If the plant is ingested, common signs include vomiting (with the exception of horses), lethargy
If your pet appears ill as a result of eating any of the above plants, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888/426-4435. For a full list of toxic plants, visit bit.ly/13cunsF.