Blaine police reports: November 23-29

November 23, 8 a.m.: An officer was on patrol in the school zone when he noticed a student walking away from campus. He contacted the 14-year-old boy, who was in possession of a vaporizer and a bottle containing flavored nicotine liquid. The officer then contacted the boy’s parent, who was unaware of her son’s inhalation practices. She came and took possession of the vaporizer and nicotine liquid, and the boy was given a warning.

November 23, 5:15 p.m.: Officers were dispatched to a business for a female who was knocking on the rear door but had no reason to be there. Officers arrived and contacted an adult female. Officers knew the intoxicated woman, who was not sure where she was. Officers made sure the woman safely found her motel across the street.

November 23, 9 p.m.: Blaine Police responded to an activated residential alarm. Officers were able to speak with the homeowners, who were out of town and reported no one should be at the residence. Officers arrived and found the front door wide open. The residence was checked and secured until the homeowner could respond and check the residence.

November 23, 11:09 p.m.: Officers were dispatched to a residential alarm in the Semiahmoo neighborhood. Officers arrived and found the home secure. High winds are the suspected cause of the alarm.

November 24, 5:05 a.m.: Police were notified of a fallen tree blocking both lanes of traffic in the 2400 block of Bell Road. An officer responded to assist with traffic control and called out a public works crew to clear the large tree from the roadway.

November 24, 7:27 a.m.: Police were dispatched to the 200 block of Marine Drive for a report of a woman possibly in distress. An officer, with the assistance of a border patrol agent, searched the area. After not finding the woman, it was later learned she had already left the Blaine area and was now driving southbound on I5. A federal agent and WSP trooper caught up to the woman down in the Bellingham area and conducted a welfare check.

November 24, 3:28 p.m.: An officer responded with North Whatcom Fire and Rescue personnel to the 600 block of Peace Portal Drive for a welfare check on a transient who was out in the cold. The transient male stated he was doing fine and declined any assistance. Aid personnel and the officer cleared without further action.

November 25, 10:10 a.m.: A business owner called police to report a former employee was making threats toward him. The man stated he had fired an employee approximately three weeks ago. The disgruntled man had since informed another person he was going to get some gangsters from Seattle to “take care of him.” The officer took a report and informed the man to contact police again if things escalated.

November 25, 2:20 p.m.: Officers were dispatched to the post office to a report of a man cussing and yelling at staff. Post office employees requested the man be trespassed. Officers responded and attempted to locate the man, but he had already left the area.

November 26, 2:30 a.m.: Officers on patrol observed construction equipment with running operation lights. The key was removed from the ignition and taken for safekeeping. No signs of a crime were observed.

November 26, 3:35 a.m.: Officers responded to a report of a prowler. The reporting party heard an unknown person make several attempts to open the front door of an apartment. Upon arriving in the area, officers observed a masked suspect fleeing the scene. The suspect left behind wet paw prints and a partially gnawed bag of candy, which he had been trying to abscond with. Officers opted to not pursue the raccoon, and cleared after determining he had been the sole prowler.

November 26, noon: Officers stopped to check on the welfare of a transient male who had been laying on a downtown sidewalk for several days. The man had been contacted several times in recent days and stated he was OK, but officers knew he had not moved from that spot for an extended period of time. Officers were concerned the man lacked the mental ability to properly care for himself. The man was offered medical attention, which he accepted. He was taken to St. Joseph’s Medical Center by medics, and a biohazard company was contracted to properly clean up the area where he had been lying.

November 27, 2:10 p.m.: Officers were dispatched to a report of a verbal dispute between two brothers. Officers arrived, found the brothers were already separated and one had walked away from the apartments. Both were contacted and confirmed the dispute was only verbal in nature. They agreed to stay separated for the evening.

November 28, 10:25 a.m.: An officer on routine patrol, in a fully marked police vehicle, passed a transient man sitting on the sidewalk near a bank. The man began smoking from a small glass pipe commonly used to smoke marijuana. It being illegal to smoke marijuana in public, the officer stopped and talked with the man. The man chose to surrender his pipe and not smoke in public in lieu of an infraction.

November 28, 10:51 a.m.: An officer was dispatched to the 3200 block of H Street to pick up a stray dog. Using information obtained from the pup’s embedded microchip, the office staff made several phone calls in an effort to reunite him with his family. Ultimately the new owners contacted Whatcom Humane Society and learned their dog had taken up temporary residency at the police station for the day. The family members were reunited.

November 28, 11:38 a.m.: An officer was dispatched to the high school for a report of a juvenile in possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia on school grounds. An officer arrived and arrested the 16-year-old student. He was released to the custody of his parents, following his suspension from school. Charges will be filed with the juvenile prosecutor’s office.

November 28, 1:07 p.m.: While on routine patrol an officer noticed the vehicle traveling in front of him failed to use their turn signal. The officer stopped the vehicle and determined the driver did not have a valid driver’s license and did not have any identification on him. The 19-year-old driver was issued a criminal citation for the offense.

November 29, 3:33 p.m.: An officer was on routine patrol when he noticed a vehicle that passed him had license registration that expired in 2015. The officer stopped the vehicle, contacted the driver and learned he did not have proof of insurance and his license was suspended in the third degree. The man was arrested and cited on the multiple offenses.

November 29, 3:05 p.m.: The Blaine Police Department requested assistance from the Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office in serving two outstanding arrest warrants for a Lynden man who twice violated the provisions of a no contact order issued by Blaine Municipal Court. Sheriff’s deputies contacted the individual, and he was arrested on the outstanding warrants and booked into jail. The warrants were cleared from law enforcement databases.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.