Blaine Police reports, February 17 – February 23

February 17, 9:21 a.m.: A business found a U.S. $100 bill in the till which looked suspicious and took it to their bank, where the note was confirmed to be counterfeit. Police were called, and officers are investigating. The U.S. Secret Service was contacted and advised, and the fake currency has been released to that agency.

February 17, 4:23 p.m.: A business reported having problems with a customer who had yelled at several employees, and asked that the person be trespassed from the premises. An officer responded and informed the patron they were not welcome back. For her part, the person maintained that she had not yelled or cursed at the staff members, but was upset by the quality of service and asking to see a manager. Her plan to not do business there again meshed nicely with the store’s expectations.

February 17, 7:43 p.m.: Police were called to the Peace Arch port of entry when customs officers encountered a couple traveling together in possible violation of a domestic violence court order. A Blaine officer investigated and confirmed that the order issued in Pennsylvania was valid. The primary violator was arrested and booked into jail.

February 17, 10:03 p.m.: While on patrol, a Blaine police officer checked the license plate of an occupied vehicle and found that the car had been reported stolen by a victim in Ferndale. The car’s occupants were contacted and detained while the theft report was confirmed. The car’s passenger was released after questioning. The 26-year-old Blaine resident driver was arrested for possession of the stolen 1992 Honda, and for driving it while his license was suspended. He was booked into jail and the car was impounded to ensure its owner would get it back.

February 18, 12:20 p.m.: Police administrative staff advised officers that a person in the police station lobby would not stop yelling and would not leave. The disruption was making it impossible for them to take or make telephone calls, as well as preventing the dispatchers from hearing and talking with officers by radio. An officer contacted the woman in the lobby, confirmed that she did not need emergency assistance and her needs had already been appropriately met. He explained to her that her actions were disrupting the emergency response system and she would be subject to arrest if her behavior continued or occurred again.  She left the building and the staff was able to return to their duties.

February 18, 11:43 p.m.: Police responded to a report of someone screaming in the area of H Street just east of Peace Portal. Officers arrived within one minute and found that the yelling had stopped. They were not able to locate whoever had raised the ruckus, and the only disorderly thing in sight was a newspaper vending machine that had been knocked over onto the sidewalk. The officers re-righted the box but it refused to divulge any information.

February 19, 3:19 p.m.: Police were called to a restaurant for assistance with a troublesome guest. They arrived and met a manager who pointed out a teenager and described the problems he had caused the business. The officers interviewed the young man and at the request of the business informed him that his energetic actions had earned him a lifetime banishment from the store’s property. The juvenile left the area on foot and the business returned to serving its customers.

February 19, 7:23 p.m.: Police were dispatched to the Peace Arch port of entry when a traveler applying for entry to the U.S. turned out to be motoring with a suspended Washington driver’s license. A little research revealed the Department of Licensing had issued the suspension because the traveler had failed to resolve prior traffic infraction in municipal court. This time she received a criminal citation with a mandatory court date, and a person with a valid license was able to take over the driving duties for their journey.

February 19, 8:23 p.m.: Officers were dispatched to a store on a report that a man there was aggressively panhandling and refusing to leave the area of the front door while plying his trade. On arrival the officers interviewed the traveler and determined he was wanted on an arrest warrant issued in Bellevue. He was booked into jail to receive food and lodging while awaiting a ride to court in King County.

February 21, 8:20 p.m.: As evening passed into night a resident called police to report that the front door of a house nearby had been open most of the day and no one appeared to be home. Officers responded, entered via the open door and checked the interior. There was no forced entry: it appeared most likely that the residents had forgotten to close up when they left. The officers locked the house and visited the family who’d called to thank them for being good neighbors.

February 22, 4:24 p.m.: A Port of Bellingham staff member brought police an EBT card that had been found in the shower facility at Blaine Harbor. Attempts to locate the owner were unsuccessful and the card was placed into property safekeeping for the time being.

February 22, 5:10 p.m.: A business discovered that someone had broken in to a coin-operated machine on the premises and stolen the money inside. The facility is equipped with video security cameras, so the owner was able to provide police with a clear recording of the criminal at work. The theft and malicious mischief are under investigation.

February 22, 8:13 p.m.: While on this nightly walk about town a Blaine Public Works employee discovered a broken water main inundating the roadway and shoulder in the 800 block of Grant Avenue. He notified police and dispatched a water department crew to shut off the section of service line while repairs were made. The cause of the break was not determined, and the only property affected by the repair work was not in operation at the time.

February 23, 5:55 p.m.: A resident contacted police to report recently observing suspicious activity. Officers interviewed the person and distributed the information received to department personnel for their use in neighborhood patrols.

February 23, 10:14 p.m.: A family member called police to report that her adult nephew had not returned home after traveling to a college campus in Seattle. The caller was concerned because it was unusual for the man to not make contact and not answer his cell phone. A missing person report was taken and entered into law enforcement databases.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.