Blaine Police reports, December 28- January 5

December 28, 9:08 p.m.: Dispatch advised officers that an anonymous caller reported a possible DUI southbound on Peace Portal from the downtown core. The suspect vehicle had apparently hit a curb during its travels. An officer checked Peace Portal and adjacent streets but did not find the violator.

December 29, 12:09 p.m.: Police were dispatched to the 100 block of 10th Street for a report of an injured coyote in the area. An officer responded and located a three legged coyote searching for much needed food. Wildlife Rescue was contacted and advised of the animals location and condition. They advised they would respond the next day.

December 29, 12:28 p.m.: Police responded to a report of a dispute between a customer and a business. A hotel manager reported that a man was refusing to vacate his room and return the key. The man agreed to comply once he was informed the police had been called. An officer maintained the peace and retrieved the room key and remained a short time to ensure no flare-ups occurred.

December 30, 6:28 a.m.: Police responded to the Peace Arch port of entry when U.S. Customs located an elderly driver from Lacey who was a missing and endangered person. An officer arrived with a fire department medical aid crew and determined the gentleman was OK but exhibiting symptoms of dementia. The officer made arrangements for the man to wait in Blaine for his family. They arrived and took custody of the man and his vehicle about four hours later.

December 31, 9:23 a.m.: Officers responded to a report of a vehicle blocking traffic on northbound I-5 at mile marker 276. Police located the van parked perpendicularly, partially blocking two lanes of the interstate and on-ramp. An officer assisted the motorist in pushing the van to the shoulder of the freeway while a tow truck was dispatched to clear the road. State Patrol was advised of the resolution.

January 1, 12:15 a.m.: A resident on Allan Street called police to report what sounded like either a large firework or a shotgun blast in the neighborhood. An officer responded and remained in the area for some time and no further blasts occurred. The officer did note the remains of an ICBM-size firework rocket lying in the street, but no evil dictators stepped forward to accept responsibility.

January 1, 2:29 a.m.: A patrol officer intercepted and attempted to stop a pickup truck speeding at 79 mph in the 35 mph zone on Peace Portal Drive. The driver refused to stop and instead tried to elude police in an adjacent neighborhood. It did not work, and the 21-year-old Blaine resident was arrested for reckless driving, negligent eluding, driving while suspended and driving under the influence. His vehicle was impounded and he was booked into jail, ensuring a safer and happier New Year for everyone.

January 2, 11:30 p.m.: An apartment complex resident called police to report that a stranger was setting up camp on the stairway landing of his building. Police contacted the visitor and learned he was a transient seeking shelter on a freezing night. An officer transported the man to the Lighthouse Mission.

January 3, 11:34 p.m.: Officers observed and contacted a vehicle that failed to stop at a stop sign. The driver turned out to have a Washington state driving suspension in force. Officers learned the driver had a status of driving with a suspended license third. He was arrested, cited and released with a mandatory court date, and a licensed driver was located to remove the vehicle.

January 4, 4:36 p.m.: Police received information from another city department about a resident who was possibly in need of assistance ensuring that a property line disagreement with a neighbor remained civil and orderly. An officer interviewed both parties, helped them find the boundary markers for their adjacent yards and resolved the problem.

January 5, 6:40 p.m.: Police were dispatched to the Peace Arch port of entry when customs officers intercepted a possible custodial interference in-progress, involving a mother who appeared to be fleeing the U.S. with her kids. A Blaine officer brought the family to the police department and conducted an investigation. The children were ultimately placed with their father for the night and both the mother and father were advised to consider following up with their lawyers and family court to explore amending their parenting plan. Meanwhile an investigation continues into the possible custodial interference.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

4 × four =