Best of Blaine Police reports 2015, part 1

January 5, 9:44 p.m.: A passerby called police to report seeing a couple having sex in a car in the parking lot of a hotel. An officer was in the area and checked the parking lot but the minuteman and his female companion had already finished their task and were gone.

January 14, 10:30 a.m.: A passerby notified police that an unidentified driver had backed into an unoccupied police vehicle parked in the police department’s lot between the station and the library. The police vehicle’s rear bumper had minor cosmetic damage, but the scene indicated that the suspect vehicle did not fare so well, as the remains of its broken taillight were left at the scene. The suspect vehicle in the hit and run is possibly a late-model Toyota Camry.

January 19, 10:38 a.m.: Police responded to a report from a passing motorist that a dead Sasquatch was laying alongside the northbound freeway lanes in Blaine. The responding officers determined the body was actually a deceased good-sized deer. WSDOT was advised to respond and remove the victim.

February 20, 7:30 p.m.: A motorist noticed a white newer Cadillac parked on the side of Yew Street. Her passing observation turned to concern when she saw a man walk up, hop into the fancy car’s trunk, and close the lid on himself. The Caddy took off down Yew Street as she called police. Officers searched the area but did not locate the car, and have not yet received any possibly related missing person reports.

February 20, 3:45 a.m.: An officer on patrol spotted and contacted a person on Marine Drive who appeared to need assistance. The pedestrian turned out to be a newspaper motor carrier who had hopped out of her car a few minutes earlier to drop off some papers. As she stepped away from the vehicle she heard a click, and looked back to see that her delivery assistant, a grinning miniature dachshund, had locked her out of the car. The officer was able to unlock one of the doors so the grateful driver could return to training her apprentice.

March 24, 2:11 a.m.: In late March a couple returned to Blaine after a weekend trip to find that their home had been burglarized and used as a party house by the criminals. Blaine police were called and initiated an investigation, and with the family’s help an inventory catalogued losses of over $2,000 in stolen, vandalized or consumed property. Evidence was collected and officers identified suspects. More than 60 people have so far been interviewed. To date, 11 teenagers from the Blaine and Birch Bay area have been arrested or referred for prosecution for felony and misdemeanor crimes committed at the home. Restitution to the victims is being sought. Some of the suspects used social media to plan the event, starting several days before the break-in.

March 26, 12:37 a.m.: Snohomish County officials contacted Blaine police to warn that a suicidal man who was possibly hostile to police had armed himself with multiple firearms and was in the Blaine area. Officers searched for the suspect and vehicle, and shortly after midnight found the car parked in a business lot downtown. A team of Blaine officers and assisting Border Patrol agents secured the area and contacted the man inside.

The 9mm handgun in his lap was secured along with the 40 rounds of ammunition and spare magazines in his pockets. Following an interview and follow-up with Snohomish County authorities, the Everett resident was transported to hospital for an involuntary mental health evaluation.

April 5, 8:34 a.m.: Police responded to a motel for a report of a theft. They arrived and contacted the owner of the motel who explained that the previous night a group of people had attempted to steal a washer and dryer from the laundry room. The would-be thieves left before being identified. Officers contacted several people of interest but all declined to come clean about their involvement. At the manager’s request they were given a trespass warning and left with the understanding that if they return, they will be arrested.

April 8, 3:04 p.m.: An officer on patrol recognized a pedestrian who has an active warrant through Blaine Municipal Court. The officer confirmed the warrant, arrested the 22-year-old man and booked him in to jail. The jail staff requested that the officer take the man for a medical check of an injury he reportedly received some days earlier. At the hospital the staff advised it would take several hours to complete their evaluation. They were asked to notify police when the man was ready for release, and the officer returned to patrol in Blaine. When they did not hear back for some time an officer called the hospital and was advised that they did not notify police of the criminal’s release as they felt it violated privacy rules. It appears the staff did give the arrestee back his green inmate clothing to put on before he left their care. The court is issuing fresh warrants for the suspect, on the original and new charges.

April 15, 5:10 p.m.: Police were dispatched to a report of a person passed out near a grocery store on H Street. Officers arrived and found the man had consumed a large bottle of liquor, which he had apparently stolen from the store. Other evidence of his excessive traits included five shopping carts beside him, which were loaded with over $1,000 worth of other shoplifted food and consumables he had wheeled out of the store. The officers also recovered property stolen from another store in Blaine. The 40-year-old transient was arrested and booked in to jail. The stolen goods were returned to their owners.

May 1, 3:57 p.m.: Border Patrol dispatch advised that a school bus stolen from the Stanwood-Camano School District had been spotted driving north on the freeway from the Ferndale area. Minutes later Blaine officers spotted the bus exiting I-5 onto D Street. Police and Border Patrol agents responded to the area as dispatch advised the bus was pulling into a gas station lot near D and 4th streets.

The first Blaine officer on scene found the yellow short-box bus parking, so he activated his emergency lights, positioned his car and parked as well. Instead of surrendering, the bus driver lunged the bus forward, changed direction towards the officer as he stepped out and rammed the patrol car. The officer narrowly missed being run over.

The suspect raced back onto D Street and traveled west the wrong direction through two roundabouts before swerving onto Marine Drive, passing at least one startled motorist at a speed estimated to be 60 mph in the 25mph zone. The suspect veered off the road just west of the city water reclamation plant, steering north across the grass lawn towards the bay, but fortunately a large barricade log the bus crashed over became lodged underneath the vehicle and dragged it to a stop.

The driver abandoned her improvised battering ram, fled on foot north to the shore, jumped into Boundary Bay and began swimming towards Canada. A boat crew from the Blaine Harbormaster’s Office with two Blaine police officers on board caught up with her about 150 yards off shore, advised the swimmer she was under arrest and for the next 20 minutes coached her in methods of peaceful surrender. She refused to learn any of the techniques offered, and ultimately the officers had to go into the water to secure her. The harbormaster’s team delivered the officers and suspect back to shore, where she was evaluated by medics and transported to hospital under officer escort.

Once warmed up and fit, the adult, whose identity has not been confirmed, was booked in to jail for possession of stolen property, felony assault of a police officer, eluding police, resisting arrest, hit and run and other charges. She also faces charges for stealing the bus from Stanwood. Damage to the patrol car is estimated at about $2,500.

May 26, 11:33 a.m.: Blaine police responded to a sheriff’s office request for assistance investigating a suspicious circumstance call on California Trail Road outside the city limits. A passerby reported seeing an elderly man using a gas can to pour a trail of fuel from the road to a nearby residence. The arriving officer and deputy discovered that the man had coordination problems and had spilled some petrol while trying to fill his lawn mower. There was no impending crime or catastrophe, and the approaching rain clouds convinced the homeowner to set aside his errand for the day.

June 1, 5:52 a.m.: Police were called by a household upset about a neighbor’s rooster waking them at an unseemly hour of the morning. An officer contacted the residence where the rascal was roosting, and discovered this homeowner was also crying foul, as the bird had wandered onto their property uninvited. They advised that animal control had unsuccessfully tried to tackle the trespasser. The officer asked them to return and try again.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.