Blaine Police reports, July 2- July 8

July 2 7:26 a.m.: About 7:30 a.m. a pedestrian on the Semiahmoo Spit walking path heard someone call out from the bushes across the road, just north of the county park buildings. When she looked toward the sound she saw that the voice belonged to a man whose upper body and face were concealed by branches. His naked lower front torso was sadly in plain view, as was his active but lamentable attempt to take a tiny bit of pleasure from being seen. The lady admonished the suspect to put on some clothes and he instead loped off southward as police were called about his indecent exposure. The arriving officer was assisted by Border Patrol field agents in a foot which confirmed he had left the area.

July 2, 9:55 a.m.: A business reported a bicycle had been abandoned in the gravel parking area nearby. An officer impounded the green Magna brand mountain bike and placed it in to property impound in hopes its owner would call looking for it.

July 2, 11:37 a.m.: Someone found an Apple iPhone and left it lying outside the police department’s front door. It was placed in property impound and as yet no one has called to claim it.

July 2, 1:12 p.m.: A restaurant customer sat her purse down in the adjacent booth as she sat down to eat. It took a little while for her to realize it was not beside her, and when she went to retrieve it she discovered it had been stolen. She called police, and an officer is investigating. The business is helping to review the video recorded by their security system.

July 2, 4:40 p.m.: Officer was dispatched to a hit-and-run that occurred in the Cost Cutter parking lot. An officer arrived and determined the suspect was a local person. Just as officers were clearing the incident scene to make contact with the suspect, she returned. The adult female claimed her vehicle was parked and rolled into the other parked vehicle on its own. Witnesses did confirm this, but officers explained that where the suspect was in the wrong was at the point of leaving the scene of an accident and driving with a suspended DL. The Blaine resident was arrested for DWLS 3rd and hit-and-run aunattended.  She was cited and released pending court hearing.

July 2, 10:30 p.m.: A person found a lost dog which had apparently run away after several fireworks were set off in the area. The person brought the dog to the police department. The dog had a current license through the Humane Society, so an officer was able to find the dog’s owner and re-unite her with her family.

July 2, 11 p.m.: Person reported a dog in a yard down the street would not stop barking. Officers were able to get the dog to stop barking by giving him some water. Officers left a note for the owner to call regarding their barking dog.

July 3, 12:35 a.m.: Person reported three suspicious persons were in his neighborhood. Officers checked the area and found one of the suspects and the truck that had been in the neighborhood. The suspect denied having anyone else with him and denied being in that neighborhood even though he and his truck were positively identified as having been there. Officers were unable to find evidence of a crime, so the individual went on his way.

July 3, 3:19 a.m.: A woman reported she was working out in the 24 Hour Fitness in the very early morning hours when four juveniles walked by the window a couple of times. The boys appeared to be staring at her, making her feel uncomfortable. An officer located the four out walking the streets. The boys were given a ride and turned over to a parent, who had no idea her son and his friends had snuck out of the house. The woman was very thankful they had been given a government ride and vowed to deal out consequences.

July 3, 12 p.m.: A woman came to the police department to report that her cat ran away at Skallman Park. The kitty is a very fat, all black, 5-6 year old feline named “Be Be.” Be Be has a pink collar with skull and crossbones design and a pentagram tag.

July 3, 1:50 p.m.: A concerned citizen called police to report two motorists having driven around the chained entrance of Seagrass development and having parked their cars adjacent to the beach. An officer spoke to the vehicles’ owners, warned them that they were trespassing and had them move their vehicles to appropriate parking areas.

July 3, 5:40 p.m.: A person reported that someone had shattered the rear window of his pick-up truck with a BB. The person thought that it might have been a juvenile male with blonde hair and a blue shirt that had shot the bb, as his wife thought she saw a sling shot in the boy’s hand. As officers investigated further, it was determined that the victims were not sure if the window was broken by any of the three juveniles they had seen walking by. Two juveniles were contacted and identified, but ruled out as suspects. There is currently no suspect in this case.

July 4, 5:40 a.m.: Dispatch reported aid personnel were en route to a residence where an emergency medical beeper was going off. Officer arrived and found the beeper had accidently been set off by a curious feline companion.

July 4, 11:50 a.m.: An officer assisted a woman after she fell on a sidewalk during the 4th of July festivities, possibly breaking her hand. The woman was escorted into the air conditioned police station where her condition could be monitored – and where she would be more comfortable – while they awaited the arrival of aid personnel to evaluate her injury.

July 4, 1 p.m.: An officer was contacted whom did three youngsters, ages 6, 9 and 10 separate separated from their parent in the crowd at the parade. The officer, with help from members of the department’s Auxiliary Communications Service, was able to reunite the family.

July 4, 11:45 a.m.: A woman called police to say that someone had punched her windshield. The woman said she would await police at the intersection of Mitchell and Boblett Street.  She did not give her name or a description of her car. Police checked the area at length but the woman was gone.

July 4, 1:22 p.m.: A woman called 911 to report that her two-year-old son had become lost in the 4th of July crowds. Police, city personnel and private citizens searched vigorously for the boy. Members of the department’s Auxiliary Communications Service found the boy and reunited him with his grateful mother.

July 4, 1:40 p.m.: Post 4th of July parade participation, a man parked his car in the 500 block of Martin Street in the shade. The man fell asleep with a partially consumed, cold beer sitting in his center console. Pedestrians called officers to check the man’s welfare. An officer checked on the man who was happily napping. The man was not witnessed actually drinking by anyone but he was AOB. Officers poured out the man’s partial and two unopened beers.  As a precaution, police held the man’s car keys until his wife came and drove him home.

July 4, 2:10 p.m.: A woman called police to report three cars having parked in her yard during 4th of July festivities downtown. Officers checked the parked cars and determined that they were all legally parked on the city right of way.

July 4, 1:40 p.m.: Police saw a woman attempt to parallel park her pickup in a tight spot on a neighborhood street. Officers thought she might have bumped another car’s front bumper during her maneuvering. The woman drove away and police stopped her a few blocks away. Officers documented the woman’s identity, vehicle and insurance information. Later, the officers checked the possible victim car but did not see any damage that looked fresh.

July 4, 1:40 p.m.: Officer contacted an 82-year-old man who fell to the ground while walking on the sidewalk in the 500 block of Peace Portal Drive in the post-parade crowd. The man hit his head and cut his eye but refused medical attention. The officer and a young couple who had stopped to help all stayed with the man until they felt comfortable it was safe for him to leave on his own.

July 4, 4 p.m.: On July 4th, a woman called police to report that someone had left their dog in their car in a hotel parking lot. It was a very hot day. The car’s windows were down and the sunroof was open. Hotel security was provided with the vehicle’s information to check the dog’s welfare.

July 4, 3:29 p.m.: A person reported seeing a possible intoxicated driver travelling southbound on Peace Portal Drive at Cedar Street. The vehicle was described as a red Mercedes with Arizona plates. An officer searched the area for the vehicle but it was already gone.

July 4, 3:49 p.m.: A volunteer reported a motorist had driven around several barricades, as the streets were closed for the 4th of July. An officer contacted the woman who was confused about how to get around town. No crime had occurred. The woman was warned about driving around barricades and was provided some instruction on how to get where she was going.

July 4, 5:40 p.m.: A passerby reported an extremely intoxicated man on foot near Peace Portal and G street that needed assistance. Officers arrived at the scene and determined the man was not intoxicated but was suffering from dementia. An aid crew to the hospital for evaluation transported the man.

July 4, 2:37 p.m.: Officer was dispatched to a dog left in the vehicle in the 1000 block of Blaine Avenue. Officer checked on the dog, which appeared not to be in any distress. The windows of the vehicle were left open for adequate air. Officer checked on the dog approximately less than an hour later and the vehicle was gone.

July 4, 5:24 p.m.: Officers responded to a cold burglary call at a residence. Officers arrived on scene, but could not find any sign of forced entry at the home. The complainant suspects a certain individual had entered her home because of a recent cancelled restraining order, and numerous attempts to contact her over the phone. Officers advised the woman to call police if the person came back to her residence or if she saw anything suspicious. Officers cleared the scene with no further incident.

July 4, 2 p.m.: Officer phoned a person regarding what she suspected was a suspicious circumstance involving an older male with a child who appeared to not want to listen to the man. When speaking to the complainant she explained that the child appeared to at first be avoiding the man, which made her believe the two might not know each other. After watching them further the complainant decided it wasn’t as suspicious as she first thought.  Thee complaint had lost sight of the pair, and no other related calls were received.

July 4, 2:46 p.m.: A person turned in what appeared to be heroin to an ACS volunteer during the 4th of July Parade. An officer impounded the small amount of suspected heroin and placed it into evidence to be destroyed. The person who lost their heroin near G Street and Peace Portal Drive is highly encouraged to contact the Blaine Police Department as officers would like to reunite the person with their lost property along with a set of shiny handcuffs and a courtesy ride to jail.

July 4, 7:28 p.m.: A person called to report that their neighbor was discharging illegal fireworks in the intersection of 4th and E Streets. Officers arrived and checked the area, but no illegal fireworks were observed.  Officers remained in the area for some time before clearing.

July 4, 8:46 p.m.: Several people, upset about a dispute over fireworks, began yelling and arguing with each other in the street. One man retrieved a hammer. Officers were on scene quickly and were able to diffuse the situation before it got completely out of hand. All parties involved were warned to return to their homes and to leave each other alone.

July 4, 11:08 p.m.: A person called to report loud fireworks in his neighborhood. An officer responded and confirmed that the fireworks were loud, but legal. Officers insured that the neighborhood was quiet after the midnight fireworks cutoff.

July 4, 9:10 p.m.: A person reported a neighbor across the street was yelling at another neighbor over fireworks. Officer arrived, spoke with parties involved and advised them if they continued to act in a disorderly manner at least one of them was going to end their holiday with a citation in hand. Both parties agreed to leave each other alone and enjoy the 4th of July.

July 5, 7:05 p.m.: Several concerned employees called police to report a temporary worker acting strangely. They believe she became intoxicated while at work and was asked to leave by management. The woman began walking eastbound on Sweet Rd and employees requested officers check on the woman and make sure she was okay. Officers checked the area but were unable to locate her. The Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office was also advised to watch for the woman.

July 5, 7:17 p.m.: The WCSO requested Blaine police assist with a tree in the roadway near H street and Delta Line Rd. Officers and Border Patrol agents in the area arrived to assist with traffic control. Officers were able to clear the tree from the roadway. It had been partially blocking westbound traffic.

July 5, 10:29: USBP dispatch advised observing on their cameras that someone had just released sky lanterns into the air near Semiahmoo Spit.  Officer arrived and found a large gathering had just dispersed. It was explained to one of the inquisitive partygoers that although the lanterns are a novel idea, they are a tremendous fire hazard, especially in the current extremely dry weather. The partier didn’t seem impressed with the officer’s knowledge or concern. As the event was at an obvious end with no more lanterns in sight, the officer did not make further contact with any of the other involved partiers.

July 6, 11:46: A Blaine resident came into the police department to report that someone had stolen his bicycle out of the back of his pickup during the July 4th parade. A written stolen property statement was obtained by the owner. There are no known suspects at this time.

July 6, 1:40 p.m.: A woman called police to report that her estranged husband, who lives at an unknown Bellingham apartment, has been making suicidal comments. Police documented the woman’s information and forwarded it to Bellingham PD.

July 6, 3:53: A Blaine resident called police to report a large pile of beauty bark had been dumped on the pedestrian walkway in the 1600 block of Peace Portal rendering it unusable by pedestrians. An officer arrived and found a landscaping firm was removing the bark by the wheelbarrow-full. Contact was made with an employee of the landscaping firm who advised he was not present when the load was delivered and that the pathway would be cleared in about three hours. There was sufficient room for pedestrians to navigate around the pile without entering the roadway.

July 6, 6:30 p.m.: Officers were contacted regarding some disturbing telephone messages left at a local church. The messages did not appear to be threatening in nature, more like the ramblings of a disturbed person. Officer contacted the mother of the suspect who also confirmed her son is mentally disturbed and has no intentions of hurting someone in Blaine. At this time there is no probable cause of a crime.

July 7, 1:19 a.m.: Officer stopped a vehicle for a traffic violation. Officer suspected the driver was under the influence of alcohol. After the driver attempted a few field sobriety tests the officer determined the person had been driving under the influence of alcohol. Officer later learned the person’s privilege to drive in the state of Washington was suspended in the 3rd degree. Officer arrested the driver for both offenses. The 23-year-old Blaine man was later booked into jail.

July 7, 9:24 a.m.: A Blaine School District employee found an illegal firework on the field at the school. An officer responded and determined it was a modified firework. The employee had already soaked it in water and was advised it was safe to dispose of in the trash.

July 7, 4:40 p.m.: A Blaine resident, house sitting for a neighbor, called police after witnessing a transient entering the back yard of the neighbor’s home. An officer contacted a woman behind the fenced back yard who stated she was resting her feet because they hurt. The woman was trespassed from the property and advised that if she returned she would be arrested.

July 7, 10:12 p.m.: Police were dispatched to check the welfare of an emotionally disturbed person who was seated in a vehicle. Officers contacted the person and determined they were not a threat to anyone. An officer spoke calmly with the person and asked if there was anything he could do to help. The person kindly declined any assistance.

July 7, 11:55 p.m.: A woman called police to report being the victim of threatening messages. The woman read the messages to the officer, the officer determined the messages to be non-criminal in nature but still advised the woman to pursue an anti-harassment order against the suspect. The woman agreed and said she would pursue that avenue.

July 8, 11:50 a.m.: An officer was dispatched to the port of entry for a suspended driver.

July 8, 12:21 p.m.: An officer was dispatched to the 500 block of Alder Street for a verbal domestic report.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.