Blaine Police reports, April 30- May 5

April 30, 3:37 p.m.: Police were dispatched to a report that two commercial vehicles had collided on the truck route. An officer located the two warring transporters, stopped partially blocking the road just south of the international border. Each truck suffered only minor damage, and the officer photographed and documented the mishap and helped the drivers exchange insurance information.

May 1, 12:50 a.m.: A Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office (WCSO) deputy called for emergency assistance on Jess Road, when a suspect began fighting with him. Blaine officers responded to the scene. The combatant was subdued and secured in the back of the deputy’s patrol car for transport to jail.

May 1, 9:10 a.m.: Police received information that a trucker with a possibly suspended driver’s license was operating a commercial semi tractor unit in Blaine. Officers located the vehicle on I-5 and contacted the driver. Computer checks revealed that the B.C. resident’s driver’s license had been canceled. He was cited for the violation and returned north across the border to work on getting his B.C. license reinstated.

May 1, 1:20 p.m.: A Blaine Police officer responded to assist U.S. Border Patrol (USBP) and the sheriff’s office with a single-car fatality crash near the Canadian border and Peace Road east of Blaine. Emergency responders from USBP, the sheriff’s office, North Whatcom Fire and Rescue and Blaine Police had to hike in to the location. Sometime overnight the motorist had been driving east on Zero Avenue in Surrey when the car veered off the road to the south, and flipped end over end at least once before coming to rest about 60 feet into the U.S. The B.C. resident driver had possibly suffered a medical emergency, and had been deceased for some time when a passerby spotted the wreck. WCSO is handling the investigation.

May 1, 3:57 p.m.: Border Patrol Dispatch advised that a school bus stolen from the Stanwood-Camano School District had been spotted driving north on the freeway from the Ferndale area. Minutes later Blaine officers spotted the bus exiting I-5 onto D Street. Police and Border Patrol agents responded to the area as dispatch advised the bus was pulling into a gas station lot near D and 4th streets. The first Blaine officer on scene found the yellow short-box bus parking, so he activated his emergency lights, positioned his car and parked as well. Instead of surrendering, the bus driver lunged the bus forward, changed direction towards the officer as he stepped out and rammed the patrol car. The officer narrowly missed being run over. The suspect raced back onto D Street and travelled west the wrong direction through two roundabouts before swerving onto Marine Drive, passing at least one startled motorist at a speed estimated to be 60 mph in the 25mph zone. The suspect veered off the road just west of the city water reclamation plant, steering north across the grass lawn towards the bay, but fortunately a large barricade log the bus crashed over became lodged underneath the vehicle and dragged it to a stop. The driver abandoned her improvised battering ram, fled on foot north to the shore, jumped into Boundary Bay and began swimming towards Canada. A boat crew from the Blaine Harbormaster’s Office with two Blaine police officers on board caught up with her about 150 yards off shore, advised the swimmer she was under arrest and for the next 20 minutes coached her in methods of peaceful surrender. She refused to learn any of the techniques offered, and ultimately the officers had to go into the water to secure her. The harbormaster’s team delivered the officers and suspect back to shore, where she was evaluated by medics and transported to hospital under officer escort. Once warmed up and fit, the adult, whose identity has not been confirmed, was booked in to jail for possession of stolen property, felony assault of a police officer, eluding police, resisting arrest, hit and run and other charges. She also faces charges for stealing the bus from Stanwood. Damage to the patrol car is estimated at about $2,500.

May 1, 4:06 p.m.: A resident called Blaine Police after two loose aggressive dogs chased him in his neighborhood on 10th Street. An officer investigated, collected a written statement and ensured the owner secured the dogs. Animal control was notified and is following up to ensure the animals are appropriately secured and monitored.

May 1, 8:20 p.m.: A Blaine resident called police dispatch to report a motorcycle was speeding up and down F Street. Officers responded to the area and spoke with multiple residents who reported seeing and hearing the loud motorcycle racing around. The descriptions of the bike’s color and size varied among the witnesses. A possible suspect was identified and officers are working to contact its owner.

May 2, 7:52 a.m.: A patron in a store collected several items from the shelves and tried to leave with paying for them. The person was contacted and detained by a store employee and police were called. The 27-year-old Acme, Washington resident was arrested for shoplifting and released with a mandatory appearance date on a criminal citation.

May 3, 4:53 p.m.: Police responded to an activated hold-up alarm at a commercial business. The business was checked and found to be in good working order. In fact, the business was very busy, which might have been how one of the employees accidentally set off the alarm. Officers cleared without incident.

May 3, 8:56 p.m.: A resident called police to report having encountered an intoxicated man acting suspiciously in the area of Marine Park. The caller described the person as in his 50s, with light hair, a mustache and glasses, wearing a leather jacket and jeans. She said the man approached her children several times and asked them odd questions such as their names and where they lived. Officers searched the park but did not find the man.

May 4, 1:41 p.m.: North Whatcom Fire and Rescue dropped off three large expired handheld marine flares to the police department for disposal. The agency does not have the means to dispose of the devices, and the local marine power squadron offered to assist by collecting them for their annual flare disposal event.

May 4, 2:27 p.m.: A passing motorist observed a man behaving suspiciously and wearing a mask walk past the Blaine Elementary School. The driver called police, expressing concern for the nearby children on campus. Officers located and contacted the masked pedestrian on Mitchell Street at the overpass. He himself was a juvenile, and claimed he was unaware he was scaring people. He agreed to show better judgment and not show the mask in the area.

May 4, 3:11 p.m.: Police monitored an emergency call to southbound I-5 near milepost 275 for a reported two-car crash with unknown injuries. The first arriving officer found the incident was actually two miles south at milepost 273.5, and had been a collision between one car and a deer. Police remained on scene until medical aid arrived to evaluate the car’s shaken occupants, and WSP responded to investigate.

May 4, 3:41 p.m.: Police were dispatched to the 600 block of D Street for a violent domestic argument in progress at an apartment complex. Officers arrived and determined the primary aggressor was a 34-year-old resident. The man was arrested and booked into jail for malicious mischief third and interfering with the reporting of domestic violence.

May 5, 8 a.m.: An officer was dispatched to the Blaine school campus when employees found disturbing messages left on the answering system. Officers listened to the messages, which were disjointed and disturbing but made no direct threats. Police identified the suspect as a man living in Oregon, and found he has left similar messages elsewhere. Officers contacted the local Oregon police for assistance in contacting the suspect to stop calling. Unfortunately it appears the man is out of reach on a commercial fishing boat, so investigation continues.

  1. What if the May 3, 8:56 p.m. police report had read something like this: … “A resident called police to report having encountered an intoxicated man acting suspiciously in the area of Marine Park…. the man approached her children several times and asked them odd questions such as their names and where they lived. One child was assaulted before police arrived because the Marine Drive railroad crossing was blocked for 10 minutes.” Are you sure you want to install a playground on the west side of the tracks?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.