Blaine Police Reports, January 28- February 4

January 28, 3:18 p.m.: Police were dispatched to a report of a hit and run collision in a parking lot on Borderite Way. A motorist had struck an unoccupied parked car then left in an incident that was witnessed by a passing school district faculty member. An officer obtained the license plate number of the suspect vehicle and a description of the driver. The motorist was contacted and cited for hit and run unattended.

January 28, 3:26 p.m.: A resident contacted police to advise that she had received a telephone call at home from a man who claimed to work for the Internal Revenue Service. The caller told the citizen she would be arrested if she did not pay money immediately. When the resident questioned the caller, he began cursing at her, made threats and then disconnected the call. The victim will immediately hang up on future calls of a similar ilk.

January 28, 3:47 p.m.: A service station employee notified police that a silver, white and blue bicycle had been abandoned along the road on H Street. An officer collected the bike and placed it into found property impound in hopes the owner calls looking for it.

January 28, 11:09 p.m.: An officer stopped a vehicle that failed to stop at a stop sign on SR 543, and found that the motorist’s privilege to drive in Washington had been suspended when she failed to resolve a traffic infraction in 2009. The driver received a ticket for the current stop sign violation and was arrested and issued a criminal citation for driving while suspended. She was released to a mandatory appearance court date, and a relative took the wheel to prevent the car from being impounded.

January 29, 12:31 a.m.: Customs officers at the Peace Arch port of entry encountered a motorist entering the U.S. whose privilege to drive was suspended. They called Blaine Police, who responded to the port and discovered the same motorist also had two outstanding arrest warrants relating to previous driving while suspended violations in Blaine. The 47-year-old Washington resident was arrested and booked into jail to ensure he resolved his warrants and received a criminal citation for the new violation. His car was impounded, as there was no licensed driver available.

January 28, 8 p.m.: A passerby came to the police department to turn in a frightened longhaired white Chihuahua she had found roaming along H Street. The tiny canine did not have a license, collar or identifying microchip. It was given lodging at the police station overnight and turned over to animal control officers the following morning when no one called looking for it.

January 29, 9:49 a.m.: Blaine Public Works advised that a piece of rented construction equipment had been vandalized while it was parked overnight at an excavation project on 6th Street. About $400 in damage was incurred when someone threw a rock through a window in the cab of the unit. Police are investigating.

January 29, 12:37 p.m.: A Blaine resident came to the police department when she discovered that her new Samsung cell phone had been stolen out of her vehicle after she stepped from her car in to her apartment for a short time. The victim had thought she secured her car door, but apparently the lock malfunctioned. A case report was initiated on the $800 theft.

January 29, 1:48 p.m.: An officer spotted and contacted two people cavorting on the train tracks near the old depot at Marine Drive. He advised the duo that they were trespassing on railroad property and explained the hazards of playing around the stopped rail cars. The gentlemen were visiting the mainland from Hawaii and explained they were enthralled because they’d never before had a chance to “walk the rails” or get close to a real train. They accepted the polite admonishment from a real police officer.

January 29, 3:16 p.m.: A contractor contacted police to report the theft of copper electrical wiring from a residential building site in Blaine. It will cost about $2,000 to replace the wire and repair the damage the thieves caused while stripping it. All officers were advised of the crime and extra patrols of the area were requested.

January 30, 3:09 p.m.: A motorist backed out of a driveway on to 8th Street, unfortunately without seeing another vehicle that was approaching in the traffic lane. The resulting collision did not cause any injuries and the damage to each driver’s Honda was relatively minor. A police officer responded to the scene to assist the owners in exchanging information and photographed the minimal damage.

January 30, 4:55 p.m.: A Blaine resident contacted police when she learned that her identity had been stolen. Apparently a suspect in another state has been using her social security number for the past three years. Among the problems this has caused is a lien against the victim because the identity thief is not paying taxes on the income being falsely reported to the victim’s account. The victim is working with the IRS and credit agencies to repair her credit rating and IRS information.

January 31, 8:26 p.m.: A passerby reported hearing screaming and doors slamming at a house in Blaine, and police responded to investigate. The officers contacted a woman in the home who said that her boyfriend had just ended the argument they were having by driving away in his truck. She reported the altercation had not been physical, and police saw no physical evidence of a domestic violence crime. They searched the neighborhood but did not find the male half or his vehicle.

January 31, 9:20 p.m.: A U.S. citizen traveling to B.C. on I-5 was interviewed by Canadian Customs, and told to return to the U.S., in part because he had not told them about either the marihuana he was carrying or the .45 caliber handgun in his automobile. When he arrived back at the Peace Arch port of entry, U.S. Customs called police to the scene. A Blaine officer determined the weapon-toting toker had not violated any Washington state laws as the revolver was properly and safely stored in his vehicle’s trunk, and he had a legal personal-use quantity of marijuana. The gentleman was left to complete his interview with the U.S. federal authorities.

February 1, 9 a.m.: Police received a morning telephone call from a woman wanting to report that she had been the victim of an assault and malicious mischief incident the previous evening. The reporting person said that a female friend had grabbed and shaken her, then took away her cell phone and broke it. After explaining what had happened, the lady said she was going to think about it a bit before deciding whether to assist police in investigating the incident. Officers are awaiting her return call.

February 1, 2:41 p.m.: Blaine Police were dispatched to a vehicle crash southbound on SR 543 at the on-ramp to I-5. Officers arrived to find one car sitting alone in the weeds off the road and contacted the driver, who explained that she had lost control of her auto. Rather than make things worse by slamming on her brakes she just let her foot off the gas and rode along until her car rolled to a stop in the mud. Officers remained on scene to provide traffic control until friends of the motorist pulled her undamaged vehicle back on to the pavement.

February 1, 4 p.m.: A resident called police to report that someone had cut the fuel line on his vehicle and he believed he knew the suspect’s identity. He wanted to document the damage in a public record, and an offense report was initiated.

February 1, 11 p.m.: A patrol officer investigated when he saw indications that someone had been on the property of an unoccupied residence. He found that someone had broken into the garage and ransacked its long disused contents. Metal had also been removed from three abandoned vehicles parked at the property. There are no suspects to the incident and police are contacting the property owner.

February 1, 11 p.m.: A patrol officer checked a vacant property and found that someone has been depositing garbage on the site. Police are investigating the illegal dumping and attempting to contact the property owner.

February 2, 12:24 p.m.: A resident on 14th Street walked out to his driveway to go to work and found a commercial truck illegally parked blocking his exit. He asked the truck’s driver to move, and received a profane reply from the truck operator, who added injury to the verbal insult by refusing to budge. A relative of the landlocked victim called the nearby business the truck driver was visiting and they got him to move. The incident was documented and all officers were advised in case the problem reoccurs.

February 2, 2:28 p.m.: Police were called to a motel that was having trouble with a guest and wanted the person trespassed. The arriving officers investigated and determined that a domestic violence assault involving the female suspect and a male victim had occurred the previous day. The very intoxicated woman was arrested and booked into jail after being evaluated for alcohol overdose by medical staff. At the motel’s request she was also trespassed from their property for a year.

February 2, 2:36 p.m.: A passing good Samaritan called 911 after witnessing two people steal a package off a residential doorstep. Officers located the juvenile suspects nearby and found the thieves were also skipping school. The pair were arrested for the theft and turned over to their parents after processing at the police station. A case report was forwarded to the juvenile prosecutor for review and charging, and the box of stolen goods is being returned to its owner.

February 2, 4:37 p.m.: A resident on Clark Street reported that several packages had been stolen from her porch approximately one month ago. She is collecting the details about the stolen items for the police report.

February 2, 10:30 p.m.: A person who owns a vacation home in Blaine called police when he discovered that his home here had been burglarized sometime over a two-week period in mid-January. Thieves had entered through a window and took stereo and video components worth about $850. An officer responded and recovered evidence from the scene. The case is under investigation.

February 4, 12;05 a.m.: A man who reported that he was feeling suicidal contacted officers. He asked for help connecting with mental health professionals, and police transported him to hospital for a voluntary evaluation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.